Thursday 4 August 2016

One-Bowl, No-Mixer Banana Muffins

It has been awhile since I last baked, well apart from baked pasta and roasted chicken and the likes.

A bunch of bananas lying in the kitchen prompted a frantic search for something easy to deal with it.  I was determined not to let it turn black and feed the dustbin.

The boys have been asking for their cupcakes, muffins for a while but I have still been pretty much suffering from the hangover from the school holidays and my vacation (oh I know, it's been so long right?).
 
 
Determined, I did a one-bowl, no-mixer banana muffins.  Done in 30 minutes, of course excluding the baking times.  And it was so easy that the boys chipped in to help.

 
They mashed the bananas (some motor skills there, yea), whisked the wet ingredients.  Very nicely, they helped wipe dry the muffin pan and lined it with their favourite cupcake liners, before scooping the mixture into them. 

I love baking with them, if the mess is not too much to handle.  Especially with sugar (headache).  Now that D is in primary school and reading much more, he reads the recipe to me sometimes.  Of course, I get squabbles too as they argue who should be doing what.  Haha 


This photo of the banana muffin is not the best because it was taken in the morning when we ate them.  At 6am, orange lights, that's probably the best I can do with an iPhone.  :D
 
But boy was it nice!  It tastes somewhat like the fried banana balls that I always like buying from Malay stores or Subway Niche.  Oh it's call Kueh Kodok. But this isn't fried and it is definitely healthier with coconut oil.  
 
Out of the 10 I made, the 2 young boys had 6 of them.  :)

One-Bowl No-Mixer Banana Muffins
Makes 8 to 10 muffins
Adapted from Foodie Baker
 
Ingredients
 
3 tbsp buttermilk or 3 tbsp milk with 1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp raw sugar (I used raw sugar because I did not have brown sugar)
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
225g over-ripe bananas, mashed
120g plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
 
Method
 
1.  Preheat oven to 175 degree Celsius.  Line muffin / cupcake mould with liners.
 
2.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk whisk buttermilk (milk with lemon juice), coconut oil, sugar, egg and vanilla extract together until well-mixed.  Whisk in the mashed bananas.
 
3.  Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the wet ingredients.  Fold with a spatula until well-mixed.  Fill the liners with the batter until ¾ full.  
 
4.  Bake for 17 to 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean and the top of muffin springs back when lightly touched.
 
5.  Remove the muffin tin and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
 
We baked it in the evening and had them stored air-tight overnight.  Let me know if you bake it and if it taste just as good warm after it's baked.  :)
 
I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment