Saturday 12 September 2015

The Way Back Home, The Way Back Home ~~~ I'm Going Home

Theatre productions are never easy.  Children's and family orientated theatre productions are probably just as difficult, if not worse.  Why?  The simple reasons for having to engage children and at the same time, telling the story or stories within a 50-minute or so duration.  For that, I applaud all who are involved in theatre plays.  




Earlier today, we were at Alliance Francaise Theatre for the play, The Way Back Home.  Presented by Big Wooden Horse and Theatre Royal Winchester, it is an inter-galactic tale about a little boy seeking adventure.  


Photo Credit : I Theatre
The Way Back Home tells of a story of a boy whom, one day, find a plane in his cupboard.  He flies his plane higher and higher until he runs out of petrol and lands on the moon.  He is frightened, lost and alone until a passing Martian lands there too!  Who is the strange alien?  Can they be friends?  And how will they find their way back home?

While the play was ongoing, I knew E will like it.  Why?  He is one who loves role-playing and imagining himself driving an aeroplane, a race car and such.  He loves making sounds like "vroom vroom", "eeeeeeewwwwwww" etc. etc..  This play has lots of those.  Without a need to put them into words, the actions and sound effects charmed children from 3 years old to 12 years old.  I also love the songs sang, especially the lovely "The Way Back Home" {The Way Back Home, The Way Back Home ~~~ I'm Going Home}.


Photo Credit : I Theatre

By the team behind the hit show Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, this theatre play totally brought alive Oliver Jeffers' famous book.  There is audience interaction and I hear lots of enthusiastic children reply when the talented two-person cast asks questions. 

One of my favourite scenes, it makes me ponder and I hope it made all the older children and adults ponder too, about the friendship between the boy and alien.  What did the boy do to show his genuine friendship with the alien?  You got to watch it to know! 


Photo Credit : I Theatre
Still performing at Alliance Francaise Theatre till 20 September 2015, book your tickets at Sistic NOW!

And if you really think you may miss it, then remember to book I Theatre's next production, The Enormous Turnip which will be from 17 November 2015 to 6 December 2015.

Disclosure: We were given a pair of tickets to catch The Way Back Home.  We bought another pair of tickets out of our own pockets.  No monetary compensation was received.  All photos of the production are courtesy of I Theatre but all opinions are true to my own.

I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment