Tuesday 11 August 2015

What Singapore Means to Me

"There was a time when people said 
That Singapore won't make it, but we did
There was a time when troubles seemed too much
For us to take, but we did
We built a nation, strong and free, reaching out together
For peace and harmony"

On 8 August 2015, I took this photo and posted on Instagram with the caption "The sun sets.  When it rises tomorrow, it will be the Nation's birthday.  Happy Birthday Singapore!"   

Looking at this photo, do you feel a sense of peace?  50 years of hardship, 50 years of courage and dreams came true of many that we are able to enjoy such peace and harmony.  
When the sun sets, we can still be on the road.  Peace and harmony - very important aspects for considering a place to live in.

"This is my country, this is my flag
This is my future, this is my life
This is my family, these are my friends
We are Singapore, Singaporeans"

We used to play at such playgrounds.  We used to eat at hawker centers and markets.  We used to have steamboat on happy occassions.  This Golden Jubilee, we did all of these, with family.









Singapore, though some may say has only 50 years of independence, has a vast heritage.  Uniquely Singapore, we are a nation with different races, religions and languages.  As the country advances, I hope that our nation's heritage will be preserved and our identity as a multi-racial country protected.


We watched this year's NDP Parade in the comfort of our home and were captivated by the parade and fireworks.  At the same time, thankful for what we have today and thankful to our Founding Prime Minister for what he had put in.  Read here for what I had wrote previously.



Thankful to be able to raise these 2 boys in this safe country.
Singapore, home truly.
As cliche as it may sound, it is indeed where I know how to get around, where I know where to find food, where my family and friends are.
And most importantly, where I know I must be.  :)

Initiated by Finallymama, follow the other 12 mummies by clicking on the image and read about what Singapore means to them.



Finally Mama


Next on the blog train is Waiwai from PeiPei.HaoHao, a full-time-working mother to a 7-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy.  She blogs about her parenting journey, DIY crafts, simple cooking and fun activities. 

I'm on Facebook!  Please like me on Facebook if you have enjoyed this post as it's where I connect constantly with my readers.  I'm on Instagram and Twitter too!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to celebrate SG50! Steamboat is one of those meals that really draws a family together, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think so too! Cooking, eating and chatting over a meal.

      Delete
  2. It was crowded at many places. I think it is nice to celebrate with your family at the comfort of your home and around the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes… I heard and read about the crowds everywhere. It's like we were part of the crowds when we were kept updated about the happenings through social media.

      Delete
  3. It is nice to have a gathering at home celebrating the big day. This special day also prompts us to treasure what we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, let's all treasure what we have and be thankful for what we have today. :)

      Delete
  4. Nice photo of the sunset! What a nice way to celebrate the special day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Waiwai. Just a very simple way of celebrating and enjoying the long weekend.

      Delete
  5. We have been seeing very gorgeous sunsets lately, must the SG50 magic! :D Thanks for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunsets and sun rises are the prettiest to be shot, especially on happy occasions. :)

      Delete
  6. hehe I feared the rain and the crowds too and stayed mostly at home, we enjoyed the family bonding and just simply doing nothing.

    ~ Audrey @ SAys! Happy Mums

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete