Thursday 2 July 2015

How to Make an Easy Chicken Stock - Freeze it Too!

People often ask me how I manage to cook after work and within an hour or so.

After reading from most of the relatively easy recipes listed here, you probably can tell that I cook stuff that do not require a lot of stewing and braising (I leave that to weekends).  I do a lot of dishes that require very little time (30 minutes cooking time probably).

I do freeze stuff too!  Like the chicken stock.  Chicken stock can be used in a whole lot of dishes.  On days when I feel slightly lazy, I will use them as the base stock for macaroni soup.  Sometimes I use them in stir-frying dishes.  

Chicken stocks is usually cooked on weekends in two pots.  One can be consumed that same day as chicken soup after seasoning,  the other kept in containers and frozen.  



Chicken Stock
Ingredients:
1 chicken, without skin (or about 1 kg of a mixture of bones and some meat)
2 onions
2 carrots
3 or 4 sticks of celery
Parsley
Water

Directions:
1. Roughly chop all ingredients.
2. Place all ingredients in a deep-bottomed pan (stock pot) and add water.
3. Bring to a boil, skim, then turn the heat down to a simmer.
4. Continue to simmer over low heat for 3-4 hours.
5. Pass the stock through a fine sieve and allow to cool.
6. Divide into containers and freeze.

I am no big, great cook (just an anyhow-experiement mom who has limited time on hand and yet wants to feed the family homecooked food).  Thus, if you realize, the chicken stock I do is pretty simple too.  Of course, other herbs like rosemary, thyme etc. can be added but I use what I have in my pantry else, those that can be found easily from the nearby convenience store.

Do not season / add salt to the stock that is to be kept.  Only season accordingly when used as we never know how much seasoning is required in the recipe where the chicken stock will be used.

I freeze them in ice cube containers.  These cubes help when you need a little chicken stock in stir-frying dishes.  I use them a lot when I stir fry vegetables.



If you have enjoyed this post, please follow us on Facebook for the latest updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment