Wednesday 20 May 2015

Home-cooked Chicken Rice

Most kids like eating chicken rice, I do not know why.  The 2 boys in my house love them so much so that I think they do not mind eating them everyday.

So, as a mummy, I try to replicate them.  Well, it is just me lah.

Not too bad huh?  I am impressed myself.



D says it is a healthier choice, with the mixture of brown and unpolished rice.  The school did a pretty good job in teaching them about choosing healthier food - those with the healthier choice logo.  And it was the kids who told me to buy and cook brown rice as the school has been feeding them the mixture a year ago or so.

One of my kitchen gadget.  This WMF pressure cooker was a gift from the hubby when I started cooking more at night after work.  According to WMF, the pressure cooker allows users to shorten the conventional cooking process by 70%.  Made of thick stainless steel and in Germany, I find it to be very sturdy.  Cleaning it wasn't difficult either - just like any pots.  Without the lid, the pot could be used as a normal pot.


I usually use the pressure cooker for soups.  Watercress soup in like 20 mins, chicken soup in about that time too.  However, after seeing a recipe on the WMF recipe book, I made the chicken rice.



Chicken Rice
(adapted from WMF Pressure Cooker Recipe Book)

Ingredients:
2 chicken drumsticks
250g rice, washed and drained
5g magarine
1/2 tbsp chopped shallot
1/2 tbsp chopped ginger
1 stk lemongrass, smashed
250 ml chicken stock, heated
3 pcs panda leaves, knotted

Marinade:
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
10g sectioned spring onion
10g sliced ginger

Instructions:
1.  Rub salt and sesame oil on the chicken skin.  Place the spring onion, ginger then chicken on the WMF perforated tray.
2.  Heat margarine in WMF pressure cooker.  Saute shallot, ginger and lemongrass.  Add rice and stir-fry for awhile.
3.  Add the chicken stock and pandan leaves.  Place the WMF perforated tray which is filled with the marinated chicken into the pressure cooker.
4.  Cover and cook until pressure indicator rises up to 1st orange ring, lower heat and time for 14 minutes.  Switch off heat and wait for the pressure to be released.
5.  Remove both chicken and rice and serve.

If you have enjoyed this post, please follow us on Facebook for the latest updates and sharings!

3 comments:

  1. Looks and taste good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,
    may i know what is the size of ur pressure cooker? can a 6.5L one do this too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I wasn’t using a 6.5L, was using a 4.5L. But I suppose a 6.5L will work too. Try it! :)

    ReplyDelete